Selling Krita through Apple AppStore

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Dec 9 09:55:02 GMT 2011

On Friday 09 December 2011 Dec, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 9 December 2011 02:24, Alex Sarmiento <alexsarmiento at me.com> wrote:
> > As far as i know, Apple never said that they pulled out the VLC App from the
> > AppStore because the GPL license was incompatible, nobody knows why was
> > pulled out .  Just because some idiotic Nokia employee doesn't like Apple
> > doesn't means that you can't publish GPL software in the AppStore
>
> Please note, this attitude is not welcome here. I provided you link to facts.
> Calling people that actually co-develop software (Nokia contributes to
> Calligra a lot) idiots tells something about yourself. And yet it's
> the software that you intend to use and/or deploy.
> So please reconsider how you treat people. To achieve the goal one
> needs to figure out 'what it takes to put an App in the AppStore'
> first.

Calm down please. I am sure that Alex did not intend any personal insult. None of us are lawyers, and even if we were, I'm sure that Apple wouldn't care about that, but take their own counsel.

I would really prefer Apple to refuse or allow Krita (or any Calligra app) in their app store than that we repeat the VLC disaster by flaming each other about whether or not we would allow our software in the app store. The software is still L(GPL), and that doesn't change by publishing in any app store.

--
Boudewijn Rempt