RFC: Calligra press kit

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Dec 8 14:15:19 GMT 2011

On Thursday 08 December 2011 Dec, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> On Thursday 08 December 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 December 2011 Dec, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> > > Even if KF 5 is released in summer 2012, it won't be in major
> > > distributions before october.
> > >
> > > I think the most important thing that we learned from the KDE 4 porting
> > > it's that you better start late with the porting. That means that I
> > > wouldn't start porting before KDE SC 5.0 is released. Otherwise it just
> > > wasting time following a moving target. I think for now it's more
> > > important to work towards becoming completely ready, than jumping into
> > > another port.
> >
> > The attractive thing, to my mind, is that porting to KDE 5 is more like
> > porting to Qt... Instead of using KFileDialog, we should use QFileDialog,
> > instead of KMessageBox, QMessageBox, K/QIcon, K/QAction and so on. That's
> > something we can do even after 2.4 is released already.

> hum. But wouldn't that affect the user interraction for people using Calligra
> with KDE4 ?

I guess so... We basically have three options:

* port K->Q for these items and accept that on KDE4, there's different behaviour compared to earlier, but the apps won't break (hopefully).
* not port K->Q: we won't support KDE5/Qt5
* ifdef everything: lots more code complexity, hopefully the same behaviour for KDE4 users as for KDE5 users.

I'm not so sure that we can manage to support both KDE5/Qt5 and KDE4/Qt4, actually.

--
Boudewijn Rempt