Active & Calligra

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Apr 30 13:47:05 BST 2011

On Friday, April 29, 2011 22:33:24 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 29 April 2011 Apr, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi all..
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MADKdbN8nyY
> > http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/04/plasma-active-calligra-active.html
>
> Nice blog :-)
>
> > the Calligra user interface isn't quite there yet, but that's what
> > Plasma
> > Active is all about: helping the various efforts within the KDE
> > community come together and focus on making awesome things on devices
> > like tablets. we know we have a good long road ahead of us, and that is
> > something that raises our excitement and determination.
>
> Well, what you see there on the video is the rebranded FreOffice. It's
> QWidget-based and was developed for Maemo. I think this was discussed
> before, but what can go into Plasma Active is Shantanu's work on a
> QML-based gui for Calligra.

indeed; we will transition to the QML interface (which is prefered as a
technology for this kind of thing now ..) when it is deemed by you to be
"ready"

> He needs a lot of help there, since it's a huge
> task. Especially in a world where the components for search, buttons, file
> pickers and so on aren't done.

there is a QtComponents for KDE project that is ongoing as part of Plasma
Quick (which is, more or less, the libraries portion of Plasma Active). Marco,
Artur and Dakir were all working on such components this week, and a number of
them are complete. we need to do more of them and we also need to document
things thoroughly. if Shantanu would like to join this effort and use the
results of it in Calligra that would be great.

they are doing the work in the plasma/declarative branch of kde-runtime.

http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Installation

> One thing I'm wondering about is the actual stack you're proposing: does
> plasma active run on any linux distribution,

it can, yes. we are restricting our own testing due to resources and the
ability to sculpt Balsam to our needs more directly.

> or on MeeGo

we are aiming for MeeGo as well, yes. Balsam based images will be MeeGo
compliant, but we will also be targetting MeeGo and ARM directly.

> -- and if it runs
> on MeeGo, how are you proposing integration with MeeGo architecture
> components like tracker, the QML components and so on?

we won't be using the parts we neight need or want in Plasma Active, but they
will be avaliable on the system. we are exploring some options like putting
Akonadi under the QtMobility messaging APIs.

currently we're focussing on having a great out of the box KDE experience;
using existing MeeGo technologies where there is overlap is a secondary
concern at the moment for us.

as we gather more resources around this effort, i hope to see our horizons
expand.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se