Text layout has landed

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Thu Apr 28 16:15:09 BST 2011

On Thursday 28 April 2011 16:41:30 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:26:22 C. Boemann wrote:
> > The text layout branch has landed in master
> >
> > Please continue work in master or your own branches from now on!
>
> I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed on how this thing went. I think
> for features big as that and which affecting all applications we should
> have reviews as agreed and we should follow these procedures.
> Also when asking people for opinion on the mailing list we should try to
> find a consensus. Maybe not all will like the result but why ask first and
> then nevertheless go on without taking into account what people answer.
> Merging such a big change only 2.5 hours there was a mail about what
> people think is not the nicest thing to do.
>
> Would it be possible to get the diff that was applied as patch on
> reviewboard so that people can do a post review?
>
> I hope we can fix the most stuff e.g. hanging/crashes/ not yet working
> features in the remaining time and I will do my best to help with it. But
> I think also everybody should test the stuff we have now and report
> problems so that as much cane be fixed until the snapshot will be tagged.
>
> Thorsten
I apologize for being hasty, but after having had to spend yet another hour
solving merge conflicts I just snapped.

I don't think a review process makes much sense for a change such as this.
Naturally there will be unfinished things and things that can be improved in
time. Rather than a review process it's simply better to just press ahead and
make the improvements as they become obvious.

From testing only Words seems worse of on some features (and a lot better on
others). I'm confident that come the tagging of the snapshot next Thursday we
will have progressed rapidly. And I believe that putting it in master a week
before the snapshot is the way to get feedback and review. Not by hiding it
away in a branch.

I'm sorry, but I actually see no other way than what I did, but I do apologize
for not having waited longer.

Best regards
Casper