Branding Calligra's QML UI as Calligra Active

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:08:11 BST 2011

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Cyrille Berger Skott
<cberger at cberger.net>wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 April 2011, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> > I had some discussion with Inge over this (thanks Inge for the idea), and
> > we concluded that the current Calligra Mobile (formerly known as
> > Freoffice), is functional and robust, so it would not make sense to call
> > the QML version as "Calligra Mobile" until it reaches that state.
> However,
> > Plasma Active gives us a good opportunity, and there comes the idea of
> > calling the QML UI as "Calligra Active". This is beneficial currently as
> > we offer our users both the mature QWidget-based UI, and a shiny QML UI,
> > and they can choose.
>
> I would say, it all depends on the scope of your project. If it is to
> provide
> a specific interface for a specific target device, I would say do not call
> it
> Active, as it would be misleading. Since (Plasma) Active is about providing
> KDE based user interface to a wide range of device, from mobile to tablet,
> incuding GPS and TV (a bit like meego but with a fully open development
> process, and using KDE technologies). And for each of those devices we
> would
> need to design a specific user interface that would fit that device.

Right now my code is not that modular, and I plan to do that once I
understand how to properly use Calligra libs.
Once that is done, we can have different UIs for different form factors. But
anyway, even if we have a mobile version for now,
for Active, its better than nothing.

> So if the goal of your project is to provide a generic base for QML
> interface,
> calling that base "Active" is an excellent idea, and then a specific
> interface
> would need a different name. And I would suggest a solution to solve the
> "tools" problem, which is a top directory called "active", with a directory
> countaint the active library (c++ / qml components) and one per UI:
>
> calligra/active/lib
> calligra/active/mobile
> calligra/active/tablet
> calligra/active/...
>
> It does not solve the problem of two calligramobile, but I am assuming the
> current mobile UI is going to be superceded by the QML version at some
> point,
> so I would suggest to use a temporary name for your work like
> calligramobile-
> qml, and when it replaces the current one, just rename the executable to
> calligramobile.

hmm Interesting, lets see what others think of this.

> The main problem with using "Active" is that we will have to make sure it
> is
> not interpretated as being tied to "Plasma Active", since we want Calligra
> run on other systems, first of all meego, but also androids, webos, or
> anything
> else that can run Qt, and that would be done using "Calligra Active".

Well this is what I discussed on #active, that in fact the aims of Active
sound more like "KDE Active" than just Plasma Active. In response, Aaron
said naming it Plasma was easier :P

> --
> Cyrille Berger Skott

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)