Branding Calligra's QML UI as Calligra Active

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Thu Apr 21 07:05:00 BST 2011

On Wednesday 20 April 2011, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> I had some discussion with Inge over this (thanks Inge for the idea), and
> we concluded that the current Calligra Mobile (formerly known as
> Freoffice), is functional and robust, so it would not make sense to call
> the QML version as "Calligra Mobile" until it reaches that state. However,
> Plasma Active gives us a good opportunity, and there comes the idea of
> calling the QML UI as "Calligra Active". This is beneficial currently as
> we offer our users both the mature QWidget-based UI, and a shiny QML UI,
> and they can choose.

I would say, it all depends on the scope of your project. If it is to provide
a specific interface for a specific target device, I would say do not call it
Active, as it would be misleading. Since (Plasma) Active is about providing
KDE based user interface to a wide range of device, from mobile to tablet,
incuding GPS and TV (a bit like meego but with a fully open development
process, and using KDE technologies). And for each of those devices we would
need to design a specific user interface that would fit that device.

So if the goal of your project is to provide a generic base for QML interface,
calling that base "Active" is an excellent idea, and then a specific interface
would need a different name. And I would suggest a solution to solve the
"tools" problem, which is a top directory called "active", with a directory
countaint the active library (c++ / qml components) and one per UI:

calligra/active/lib
calligra/active/mobile
calligra/active/tablet
calligra/active/...

It does not solve the problem of two calligramobile, but I am assuming the
current mobile UI is going to be superceded by the QML version at some point,
so I would suggest to use a temporary name for your work like calligramobile-
qml, and when it replaces the current one, just rename the executable to
calligramobile.

The main problem with using "Active" is that we will have to make sure it is
not interpretated as being tied to "Plasma Active", since we want Calligra to
run on other systems, first of all meego, but also androids, webos, or anything
else that can run Qt, and that would be done using "Calligra Active".

--
Cyrille Berger Skott