Logo

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Thu Nov 25 20:10:27 GMT 2010

On Thursday 25 November 2010 21:03:12 Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Cyrille Berger Skott
>
> <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > We are working with Nuno (of oxygen fame) on the Calligra logo, well Nuno
> > is going to work, but he has been asking us to brainstorm and to provide
> > idea.
> >
> > One of the first idea was to use a feather, like one use to draw
> > caligraphic, but it was judged to be too "deja vu".
> >
> > So Casper suggested to use some kind of calligraphic/chinese-like/curvely
> > font. Accidently, I have found a font that he thinks could be used as
> > inspiration, so I have put the font, a play svg, and a few variations on
> > the idea here: http://cyrille.diwi.org/tmp/calligra/logo/
> >
> > So what do you think about it ? Have any other ideas ?
>
> I'm sorry, but this gets a "thumbs down" from me. While I appreciate
> the effort, two cardinal mistakes have been made:
>
> 1) You can never, ever, use text in a logo. How would this work in the
> Chinese market, or perhaps in Arabia?
Are you kidding: IBM, MicroSoft, Novell, Dell, Lenovo. I could go on and on
with text only logos. Lenovo is even chinese ;)
Now if we were talking icons yes, but this is a logo.

> 2) The font is hard to read. That's the last thing you want.
Well besides not really caring about reading a logo, this was only a font for
inspiration. I'm sure Nuno will do it by hand in the end.

best regards
Casper