Nokia announcement

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Dec 21 16:29:34 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 21 December 2010, Adam Celarek wrote:
> Hi,
> this is a bit of a reply to an old thread from Inge with the same title
> [1].
>
> In an austrian newspaper, there was a report about nokia switching to
> windows phone 7 [2]. In [3] there is quite the same news in english.
>
> I'm thinking of buying a new nokia smartphone (ether n8 or c7), but now
> i'm even less sure, how much future there is for s^3 and meego.

Well, I'd personally never buy a Symbian phone -- not even the N8 which is really pretty cool. Lack of a terminal would put me off. And nobody involved with Nokia can say anything about unreleased hardware, no matter how impressive it is.

> Do you have any hints, or info if nokia is abandoning the development of
> calligra mobile (as assumed by boud for instance [4])?

As far as I know, Nokia always intended FreOffice/Calligra Mobile to become a community-based project that runs on maemo/meego -- that's why we had this big effort last summer to get a dozen or more students involved. I'm not sure what new things are in store for Calligra Mobile, though I have some plans of my own.

As I've mentioned earlier this summer, there's yet another user interface on top of the koffice core, and I don't know how many more there will be. Rumours from companies outside Nokia indicate a strong interest, though -- like we had for some time the Vietnamese guys embedding KWord in their meego tablet or the German guy, Zaebos, who needed kword + annotation for a mobile medical device.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org