Developer Sprint

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Tue Dec 21 13:04:34 GMT 2010

On Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:51:25 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to organize the first calligra developer sprint. I have set up
> doodle so everybody can give their prefered dates for a sprint. We had a
> talk to Mirko from KDAB last week and they are willing to host the event
> in their office in Berlin. The dates reflect when their office is
> available for a sprint.

Hi Thorsten!

I think you managed to beat Alexandra with, like, 10 minutes.  I have talked
with her today and she is willing to help us.  But if you want to do it, I'm
certainly going to be the last one to stop you. :-)

> So everybody who would like to join the sprint please go to
>
>  http://www.doodle.com/yhzs6zpx6wfxz4wy
>
> and select the dates you would be able to participate.

There was a suggestion floating around about doing a slightly longer sprint
this time, maybe a weekend plus monday for those that could stay a day longer.
Would this be a good idea? Then we could perhaps even have time for some real
programming as well and maybe partly start the implementation of the ideas
that come up in the meetings.

> Possible topics for the sprint:

I think we should set up a wiki page for this like we usually do.

> - Calligra community, how to organize
> - Technical discussions
> - Roadmap
> - Hacking

Some topics from me:

community:

 - Rules for choosing maintainers.  The responsibilities and limitations of
maintainers.

 - Written statement about our position on companies that want to integrate
Calligra in their own solutions (I'm for it :-) )

technology:

 - The Office Engine concept
   I would like to reorganize the code so that it's much easier to integrate
new UI's but still keep most of the common code together. This means that we
should have common code even at application level in one place and the actual
UI in a separate tree. At the same time I would like to make the current UI's
(desktop, freoffice) more equal. I think that this concept could win us a lot
of integrations if we create it and market it well.

 - A possible split of shapes and tools. Right now all UI's that are not
docker based and/or widget based have a big problem.

 - A more general discussion about our desktop UI concepts.  Boud mentioned
that there used to be a more holistic idea about tool widgets and inspectors
but that this got lost in the discussions with Thomas. Can we revisit that
now, perhaps?

 - Possible reorganization of filters รก la a previous thread (not bound by
application, but instead organized after file formats).

 - The creation of a filters/msolibs for common code that has to do with MS
Office files. We now have */*/pole.{h,cpp}, filters/libkowmf,
plugins/vectorshape/libemf, filters/libmso and filters/libooxml.  I see more
libraries here in the future, e.g. for Smart Art, Diagrams, etc, and I would
like to organize it so that they are easier to use.

> So lets get started by filling out the doodle.

Hmm, why no 19-20 feb?  And I think we may need more dates in march.