Braindump and calligra

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Sun Dec 19 21:51:54 GMT 2010

On Sunday 19 December 2010, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Great, I am assuming the name stays? ;)
I like that name :)

> PS: What I wonder about is unclear policy regarding what shapes are
> visible in what applications (at least by default).
> Freedom is nice but for the sake of usability it seems more natural to
> me that, e.g. mindmapping features are reserved for Braindump. As soon
> as I am able to do the same using, say, Flow, the purpose of the
> applications is getting *blurred*.
It is a bit unrelated to braindump, isnt' it :)

Actually mindmapping should be available in both. Also we actually have
through the default configuration file, blacklistings of plugins.

That said, I am not sure how well it works when applications are upgraded, and
we still need an UI to select plugins, and someone should be able to include a
mindmap in an .odt/.odp.

Maybe, now that the basic set of plugins has been written, instead of having
to explicitely blacklist plugins, we might want to switch to have to
explicitely whitelist plugins. I also would like to use KDE's plugins selector
dialogs, but since we are using a slightly different plugin system, we might
need to do some adjustment.

But yes definitely unrelated to braindump :)

> The most extreme negative example, already the classic complaint since
> the (not so) early stages of KOffice series 2: displaying advanced
> color selector in a prominent place in KSpread and treating the
> formula bar as an element of secondary importance.
Huh, that was fixed before 2.0.

> The same complaints
> can appear regarding shapes, if we do not group filters shapes using
> sane defaults.
>
> PS2: it's open question if Braindump and Flow can be merged. Assuming
> Flow can have idea of "type of diagram", the merge into a single well
> defined app can be doable. Just idea that may work. And a proposal to
> discuss the idea of "type of diagram".

There is some confusion, I guess. The difference between Flow and Braindump is
not that one is a diagramming application, and the other one is a mindmapping
application.
One is a document application, the other one is a rich notes taking
application. You could, in theory, takes rich notes with Flow and makes
diagrams for your project with Braindump, but then if you think about it, you
can do the same with Words or Stage or Karbon (similary, you can use Karbon or
Words to make presentations, I have seen people taking pride in doing their
presentation in inkscape). We have in calligra applications that are dedicated
to a task, so if you want to make a document you would use Flow. If what you
want is collect ideas, then you would use Braindump. And then later structure
it in a document, whether Words, Stage or Flow.

For me braindump is meant to be the replacement of the white board that is
standing right next to my office :)

--
Cyrille Berger Skott