Braindump and calligra

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sun Dec 19 19:43:25 GMT 2010

On 19 December 2010 18:58, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like Braindump to be included in calligra. For those who don't know or
> have forgotten, Braindump is a rich notes taking application based on flake
> (better described in [2]). Its code is currently living in [1].
>
> It is currently shipped stand alone. I had like to include it in calligra, for
> the following reasons:
>
> * convenience, as flake's API change, braindump tends to lag behind, I also
> tend to forget to do releases after major koffice/calligra releases, making
> the lag even worse, and releasing translation is a bit painfull, I had rather
> do once for calligra, rahter than twice
> * increased potential user base, I don't think there are much packages of
> braindump, making it very invisible to users, being part of calligra would
> increase the visibility of braindump
> * I also think that braindump will gives value to calligra users, and would
> fit well in our current offering
>
> With braindump, apart from the main applications, comes two shapes, a web
> shape (that basically embedd a web page in a document) and a state shape (that
> show checked/unchecked or progress).
>
> So I would like to know what you guys thinks about having braindump inside
> calligra ? Any thoughts, or objections ?

Great, I am assuming the name stays? ;)

PS: What I wonder about is unclear policy regarding what shapes are
visible in what applications (at least by default).
Freedom is nice but for the sake of usability it seems more natural to
me that, e.g. mindmapping features are reserved for Braindump. As soon
as I am able to do the same using, say, Flow, the purpose of the
applications is getting *blurred*.

The most extreme negative example, already the classic complaint since
the (not so) early stages of KOffice series 2: displaying advanced
color selector in a prominent place in KSpread and treating the
formula bar as an element of secondary importance. The same complaints
can appear regarding shapes, if we do not group filters shapes using
sane defaults.

PS2: it's open question if Braindump and Flow can be merged. Assuming
Flow can have idea of "type of diagram", the merge into a single well
defined app can be doable. Just idea that may work. And a proposal to
discuss the idea of "type of diagram".

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek