Nokia announcement

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Dec 15 08:13:27 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 14 December 2010, Inge Wallin wrote:
> I talked with Suresh Chande of Nokia today, and they want to "donate"
> FreOffice to the community and rename it into Calligra Mobile Suite. This
> means that it could be viewed as a reference UI for the handheld form factor.
>
> I think this is great news, and it will generate great PR for Calligra soon
> after our release.
>
> My question now is: Is there any reason why accepting this would be a bad
> idea?
>
> I can't find any, and I think it's a very good next step towards Calligra
> being the default on mobile platforms and getting ready to take on OOo / LibO
> / MSO on the desktop.

I think it's pretty weird. FreOffice is already in the calligra repository. It's already in the community.

What "donating" seems to mean is that Nokia no longer has responsibility for maintaining FreOffice -- and that's bad news, not good.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org