Unit test coverage

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Mon Dec 13 19:59:39 GMT 2010

On Monday 13 December 2010, suresh.chande at nokia.com wrote:
> From my perspective it will be really very important to increase the unit
> test coverage of the software particularly for the applications currently:
>  Words, Stage and Tables as these applications are important in our
> investigation of making Mobile Office Viewer(FreOffice) usable for real
> end users. As a practice in general it would be good if we agree some
> fundamental unit test policy in each application.
Well policy is not really something we can impose. In an open source, mostly
what you can do is encourage best practice. Ie, adding as much as possible
tests when adding new features. Or when fixing bugs. And block commits that
break existing unit tests.

That said nothing prevents Nokia to have a different approach :)

> Do we have a general understanding on what is the target which is good from
> your perspective. I think it would be good if the code coverage is atleast
> close to 80% ?
>
> Is there a way to see the code coverage break down per application level
I guess someone could write a script to do better stats on the coverage data.
But frankly it is only useful to set goal for developers :) Here the coverage
data is usefull for someone who wants to write tests (either because he likes
to write tests, or because he is going to fix a bug and is affraid to break a
class).

--
Cyrille Berger Skott