Ascii Import Filter

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Dec 10 08:40:49 GMT 2010

On Friday 10 December 2010, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm just rewriting the ascii import filter to be more performant. The new
> version is about twice as fast as the old version which still converted to the
> old kword format. The new filter instead convers to odf.
>
> There is a small thing in the old filter that I basically like to remove. The
> old ascii filter has 3 options to detect end of paragraph:
>
> 1. As is: at the end of the line
> 2. Sentence: if the end of line is the end of a sentence
> 3. Old method: If the line is empty or has less then 40 characters.
>
> I think the last option was there to just keep some kind of backward
> compatibility. I would like to not port that to the new filter. The porting is
> not much work but I would like to remove this option.
>
> What do you think should it be removed?

Well, I I'm not sure about the the 40 characters limit, but
the empty line is probably the only useful option actually!
It's the one I use when I have to convert prose written in
an editor or a gutenberg document to a wordprocessing
document because there paragraphs are separated by a newline.

Take a look at the previous paragraph: onlye the empty line
method will correctly convert those five lines into a paragraph.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org