Conflict solving and maintainer

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Dec 8 08:51:10 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 December 2010, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
>
>> I mean let's be serious; how mutch cases do you know where playing the
>> maintainer-card was really needed and at how much cases it was providing more
>> harm then solving problems?
>
> I sometimes do that for Krita when the gang cannot agree on something. I "pull maintainer rights" and make a decision -- which usually means the gang comes to a decision together which tends to be different from mine :-). It's still the catalyst role, I guess.

The thing is: People tend to follow the person (or persons) with the
most experience automatically.

Even if you were not the official "maintainer", I bet your team would
listen to your advice anyway, because they know that it will probably
be good advice. In the case that you would completely lose it one day
(unlikely), your team would likely notice that, and stop following
you. This is just natural.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at KO GmbH