Conflict solving and maintainer

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Dec 6 08:30:24 GMT 2010

On Monday 06 December 2010, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we all want to avoid what have happened (ie the split) to happen
> again, we have been discussing election for maintainers. Various ideas have
> been discussed. But many have point out that it would add layers of
> bureaucracy, and we would not be able to make a system that is future proof.
>
> So here is my suggestion, if a personnal conflict happen (technical would sill
> be handle by the WMC), that the community is not able to solve, the case is
> presented to the Community Working Group, that would have full authority to
> propose solution, including electing a new maintainer, or ask someone to stay
> away.

Well, without wanting to go into details, I wasn't too deeply impressed by the way the CWG has handled this issue. I'm also not sure that the CWG actually agrees that they should have the power to ask someone to stay away.

I would prefer to have a clear and simple rule for calling for maintainer elections -- like "2 people who have made commits or submittend patches for the relevant application can call for elections. Everyone who has committed to calligra in the past year can vote.".

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org