Poll of application names

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Dec 1 08:25:36 GMT 2010

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 08:57:33 C. Boemann wrote:
> On Sunday 28 November 2010 21:49:12 C. Boemann wrote:
> > Following two meetings on irc we have two sets of names
> >
> > Proposal A: Write, Calculate, Present, Diagram, Plan.
> > Proposal B: Words, Tables, Stage, Flow, Plan
> >
> > A vote has been set up on doodle, and the result will be drawn from there
> > wednesday morning CET
> >
> > http://www.doodle.com/uyqzwnxs6tbctt6a
> >
> > Please do not try and influence the vote at this point. Let's keep it
> > simple and fair. So no talking for or against.
>
> So the time is up and proposal B got the most votes. However only just, and
> several people have said that they like to make "substitutions" for lack of
> a better word.
>
> I must say I would have liked a more unanimous decision, so I'm actually
> prepared to open up the discussion a bit, provided that if we don't have a
> clear consensus of a substitution then proposal B has won. But if we do
> this we should move very fast. By Friday we need to have the final name
> set
>
> Now I actually like Stage more than Present, and I think most people like
> Stage very much too, so I would like Stage and Plan to be completely nailed
> at this point.

Good that we have some progress. :-)

> I don't like Flow, and more importantly the maintainer voted for Diagram
> too over Flow. I do get people not liking Diagram for sounding too hard.
> Now I have a third proposal, but I am going to test it with you off list
> before making a plea for substitution.

I haven't lobbied for any names yet, but I would like to point out the
differences between MS and Apple.  MS used rather descriptive names like Word,
Project, etc.  Excel and Powerpoint are the exceptions, but at least
powerpoint wasn't created by them but bought from another company.

Apple, on the other hand, tries to speak more to the imagination. The names in
group B are more in the Apple tradition.  Tables is like Numbers, the
spreadsheet in iWorks, Flow is a bit like Keynote, the presentation
application in iWorks and so on.

It is interesting to compare the public opinions on Microsoft and Apple:
Microsoft is a big, rather boring, company at the end of its reign and with
half-baked products. Apple is extremely cool with high quality products. So I
would argue that we should go with B because it will make people view Calligra
more like Apple than Microsoft. Calligra itself is a very good name in the
Apple way of thinking.

> For Words/Write I actually don't have a preference, but will not accept
> Writer or Word. So right now I'm prepared to let the vote stand unless
> someone comes up with a really good alternative.

There is hardly any difference between them, so it shouldn't matter much.

> Same goes for Tables. It's not the best of names, I agree, but we have
> voted. Still if someone can gather a majority behind a different name, I'm
> willing to make a substitution vote here too.

Here I beg to differ: Tables is a very good name, also quite Apple like.

As a side note, I think you are mixing your roles as a mediator for the vote
and lobbying for your personal favourites. :-)