Poll of application names

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Wed Dec 1 07:57:33 GMT 2010

On Sunday 28 November 2010 21:49:12 C. Boemann wrote:
> Following two meetings on irc we have two sets of names
>
> Proposal A: Write, Calculate, Present, Diagram, Plan.
> Proposal B: Words, Tables, Stage, Flow, Plan
>
> A vote has been set up on doodle, and the result will be drawn from there
> wednesday morning CET
>
> http://www.doodle.com/uyqzwnxs6tbctt6a
>
> Please do not try and influence the vote at this point. Let's keep it
> simple and fair. So no talking for or against.
So the time is up and proposal B got the most votes. However only just, and
several people have said that they like to make "substitutions" for lack of a
better word.

I must say I would have liked a more unanimous decision, so I'm actually
prepared to open up the discussion a bit, provided that if we don't have a
clear consensus of a substitution then proposal B has won. But if we do this
we should move very fast. By Friday we need to have the final name set

Now I actually like Stage more than Present, and I think most people like
Stage very much too, so I would like Stage and Plan to be completely nailed at
this point.

I don't like Flow, and more importantly the maintainer voted for Diagram too
over Flow. I do get people not liking Diagram for sounding too hard. Now I
have a third proposal, but I am going to test it with you off list before
making a plea for substitution.

For Words/Write I actually don't have a preference, but will not accept Writer
or Word. So right now I'm prepared to let the vote stand unless someone comes
up with a really good alternative.

Same goes for Tables. It's not the best of names, I agree, but we have voted.
Still if someone can gather a majority behind a different name, I'm willing to
make a substitution vote here too.

As I do with Flow, I ask the rest of you to make sure you have at least
substantial support before actually pleading for a vote.

best regards
Casper