Severely Old Bugs

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Thu Dec 24 14:59:49 GMT 2020

On 12/20/20 4:06 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Still, this might not be helpful at all for several possible reasons:
>
> - there is no newer version to confirm the bug on,

In this case we would probably close it as RESOLVED UNMAINTAINED.

> - the maintainers are aware of the bug status and don't want it to be
> handled, or just closed,

If it's still reproducible, it will stay open. :)

> - the newer versions are a different codebase (e.g. Qt4 vs Qt5) so not
> comparable with a newer version, etc.

Also RESOLVED UNMAINTAINED. :)

> I really think this should be coordinated with the maintainers of the
> individual projects to make sure the best course of action is taken. For
> some old bugs sometimes closing them as unmaintained is the only
> possible outcome.

Yeah. The idea is to make sure that only actionable bug reports are open.

Unfortunately a lot of maintainers are not very attentive to bug
reports, which is how we wound up in this situation. I support Justin's
idea, as it will reduce maintainers' burden of having to manage a giant
pile of old probably no-longer-applicable bug reports so they can focus
only on things that are relevant.

We already avoid automatically modifying bug reports for certain
projects where the maintainers are attentive, such as Krita, Digikam,
and KMyMoney. But for the rest, I believe this would be a valuable service.

Nate