Severely Old Bugs

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sun Dec 20 11:06:47 GMT 2020

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 00:38, Justin Zobel <justin.zobel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Myriam,
>
> My apologies, I wasn't clear in my initial email. I am not planning to
> close any bugs. I was merely thinking we could ask users to assist by
> confirming that the bugs reported long ago still exist in the more recent
> versions.

Still, this might not be helpful at all for several possible reasons:

- there is no newer version to confirm the bug on,
- the maintainers are aware of the bug status and don't want it to be
handled, or just closed,
- the newer versions are a different codebase (e.g. Qt4 vs Qt5) so not
comparable with a newer version, etc.

I really think this should be coordinated with the maintainers of the
individual projects to make sure the best course of action is taken. For
some old bugs sometimes closing them as unmaintained is the only possible
outcome.

Regards, Myriam

--
Pronouns: she/her
Proud member of the Amarok and KDE Community: