[Bugsquad] Plans for a Dolphin bug triage event in October

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 28 11:27:09 UTC 2012

Dear Bugsquad members,

since the last Dolphin bug day [1], which was a big success and helped
to clean up the bug database considerably, a lot of time has passed.
Many new bug reports were filed, and many changes have been made in
Dolphin's code base, which means that some of the old bug reports
might not be valid any more.

Moreover, there are many bug reports which are assigned to the
'general' component, but could be reassigned to a more meaningful
component, and many reports do not have a 'Version'.

Therefore, I think it's time for another collective bug triage event.
Jekyll does a fantastic bug triaging job,
but there are so many open bug reports that any help will be greatly
appreciated, I think :-)

My goals for a bug triage event are mainly:

1. Close reports that are not valid any more.
2. Assign all reports in the 'general' component to more meaningful components.
3. Mark all reports that contain simple steps to reproduce the issue
reliably with the 'reproduceable' keyword.
4. Update the 'Version' field to the last version that the bug has
been reported/confirmed in, in particular for the bugs with
'unspecified' versions. This issue has been raised by Myriam, who
added a bugzilla search for unversioned Dolphin bugs [2].
5. Provide a starting point for KDE users who would like to contribute
to Dolphin or KDE in general.

I hope that this will not only make life easier for those who work on
Dolphin at the moment, but also make it easier for potential new
contributors to find interesting issues to work on.

About the organisation of the triage event:

1. Coordination: I think that wiki pages like the one in [1] are a
good tool to coordinate who works on what and to keep track of reports
that need to be closed or changed in some way.

Does anyone have a script that can divide a bug list into small
batches? It's probably not hard to write one, but if there is an
existing solution already, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel ;-)

When I have a script that does this, I can put a new wiki page on Techbase.

2. Communication: Traditionally, the bugsquad has mostly used IRC for
communication during bug triage events, which took place on weekends.
My problem with IRC is that I can never really tell in advance when I
have a couple of hours of spare time to work on Dolphin, and real life
usually keeps me busy on weekends. Therefore, I could only provide
advice asynchronously, and would prefer to communicate via the forum,
which has already been done for some past triage events [3].

3. Duration: I'd like to announce the event on my blog at some point
in early October and let the triaging go on for one, or maybe a few,
weeks. In the unlikely event that triagers run out of work early,
we'll certainly find something useful to do for them :-)

I'd welcome any feedback on my ideas!

Best regards,
Frank

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Bugsquad/BugDays/DolphinDay1