[Bugsquad] Future BugDays

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Sun Sep 12 13:55:52 CEST 2010

Hey Dario!

Not tired of not doing bugs yet? :-)

Am 11.09.2010 20:17, schrieb Darío Andrés:

>>> Personally I prefer the wiki way :-)
>>
>> Same here. But I saw Dario did one or two on the forum and I don't know
>> how smooth that went.
>
> (Note that the forums didn't replace the IRC.)
>
> The forum was only used to allow the newcomers to discover the
> bugtriaging process (they were allowed to ask questions of the
> application that is going to be triaged, like the bz product
> policies). The "week" part of the "BugWeek" name represents that the
> newcomers have a lot of time to discover bugtriaging, discover the
> application, ask questions and setup their test environments. On the
> last two days the triaging starts. The forum was also used to sum-up
> all the results.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I finally got how it worked.

> Personally I tried to use all the power of the forums but it looked
> like the "wiki-approach" was tidier. I didn't liked the wiki approach
> because of the possible conflicts within the edits (in the forum
> apprach this doesn't happen because every user modifies its own post;
> and then the administrator merges all the results when the triaging
> finishes). However, it was too much work for me to organize all the
> results.. and it was still confusing for the users to use the forum.
> (not mentioning that distributing the bug batches was a bit messy
> too...)
>
> Plasma BugWeek session: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=84713
> Explanation and workflow: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84473
> Results: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=84888
>
> May be you can find a better tool to do all the tasks, (or a good way
> to use both the forums and the wiki)

I guess the "problem" with both approaches is that there's no real
workflow support in either. As it stands most people who have already
done triage seem to prefer the wiki way. Maybe a forum based
introductory round would be nice though. It would provide newcomers a
single contact point to get setup.

Regards,
Michael