[Bugsquad] (attachment) Implementation of online bugzilla product mapping for DrKonqi

Darío Andrés andresbajotierra at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 03:45:01 CET 2009

2009/11/12 Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 11 November 2009 09:19:28 am Darío Andrés wrote:
>> According to the developers, the server that host bugzilla is capable
>> of interpreting PHP.
>> I made a simple PHP script that will allow us to implement the current
>> feature of DrKonqi  (binary name <-> bugzilla product&component
>> mapping) on the remote server. This allow us to change the mappings at
>> every moment without relying on the local mappings file being
>> distributed and updated every KDE release.
>>
>> It should work but it could also be improved (and extended to add more
>> capabilities)
>> @Matt: could you test this on the bugzilla server (may be on bugs.k.o
>> or bugstest.k.o) ? I don't know in which path could it be, if it can't
>> be in the root path of the domain, a subfolder may be ok if it is
>> accessible so I can perform tests.
>>
>> May be the mappings file could be stored in another place. In any
>> case, if this is allowed by you and kde admins, I will request karma
>> to modify the script and/or the mappings file.
>>
>> ... In fact it doesn't need to be in the bugzilla server/domain as it
>> doesn't interact with the bugzilla database at all (it may be on the
>> future to check for legal values...), but I thought that having those
>> script in the bugzilla server would make sense as only DrKonqi are
>> going to use them.
>>
>> I attach both script and a simple mappings file (reduced version of
>> the current DrKonqi map)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Darío A.
>>
>> PD: I used PHP because I know it more than CGI, but the script is
>> rather simple (only string parsing and arrays); may be it can be
>> simply ported to CGI if needed.
>> @George: I'm looking forward optimizations you can done in this script :D
>>

> I have a question:
> Why isn't the result in XML or some other sort of designed-to-be-machine-
> parsable language? :)

Because only DrKonqi will be using it (may be there is another
possible use I haven't though about...)
It could be converted to a basic XML without problems (but I think the
current format, or any other "simple" implementation (JSON?) would be
easier to parse than XML)

> Personally, I'm not inclined to put this anywhere at the moment until the
> whole "Bugzilla sucks we should move to something else" actually has something
> concrete come out of it in terms of "we'll move to XYZ" or it just dies out.

Ok, no problem. I also waiting for this discussion to get to some place.

Thanks for replying (considering that all this discussion would drive
you crazy/sad...)

Regards
Darío A.