[Bugsquad] Debug packages in Shaman

Darío Andrés andresbajotierra at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 21:53:52 CET 2009

2009/12/25 Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com>:
> Hello people,

Hey! :) (and sorry about the delay)

> (please CC me in replies as I'm not subscribed to this list)
>
> Merry christmas everyone! :D Santa Claus brought you a feature Dario (Andres,
> not me) asked me some days ago in libshaman (more info about it:
> http://drfav.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/introducing-shaman-a-new-universal-
> package-management-frontend/ ). LibShaman is now in fact able (if the backend
> supports it) to mark packages as "packages with debug symbols".

Niceee

> In a possible future where the bug reporting tool would act as a very basic
> frontend to libshaman letting people install debug packages, I wanted to know
> what features would you guys like/need to have in order to make such a thing
> possible. For now you're just able to get the list of packages containing the
> debug symbols (of course from a package you're able to find out if it's
> installed, etc). Should you need some more stuff, it's your chance to ask :)

I will briefly explain how we get debug symbols packages installed:

- From the incomplete backtrace, we get the path of the .so libraries
with missing debug information.
(ex. "/usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4")
- Using that path we get which packaged installed it
(ex. "libqt4")
- Now we check which package contains the debug symbols of the
previously fetched packagename
(ex. "libqt4-debuginfo" contains the debuginformation for "libqt4")
- Those packages get installed
- The backtrace is regenerated. (and hopefully complete now :) )

So, from a "package management" PoV we need to:
- Check which package ("A") contains a file
- Check the debug info package ("B") for the package "A"
- Install the package "B"

It is usually done this way. May be you can think of a better workflow
to install the missing debug symbols package; may be using some other
functions we can bypass the step 2. (so it will be: fetching the
debuginfo packagename from the library file path)

> Have some nice holidays, /me gets back eating

Happy holidays for you too.
Thanks for all your work, and have a nice and productive 2010 ;)

Greetings

Darío A.