[Bugsquad] BugSquad KMail Triage

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Oct 14 20:26:56 CEST 2008

On Sunday 12 October 2008 6:24:12 pm George Goldberg wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> > Howdy BugSquad,
> >
> > Thomas McGuire (KMail maintainer) and I were discussing a new approach
> > to dealing with all those pesky KMail bugs today, and came up with the
> > following idea.  Let us know what you think about it, and if enough
> > bugsquad people are willing to participate.
> >
> > 1. create a new mailing list called bugsquad-triage
> > 2. ask bugsquaud people subscribe to bugsquad-triage
> > 3. change the initial owner of the KMail bugs product to bugsquad-triage
> > 4. new bugs are triaged.  real, new bugs are changed to owner kdepim-bugs
> >    dupes, invalids, wontifxes, junk are dealt with and do not have their owner changed.
> >
> > This approach will hopefully allow the developers to spend more of their time
> > developing and less of their time watching their inbox fill up with the non-stop
> > stream of incoming bugs.
> >
> > Comments?  Are people willing to subscribe to bugsquad-triage for this effort?
>
> I think that it would be a fantastic idea to try this with KMail. It
> sounds brilliant, and would be great to try it on a high volume app
> like KMail.
>
> So basically +++++++++++ from me :)

Sorry, I totally missed the discussion going on in the bugsquad mailing list because
I'm not subscribed there.  But I just read the archives.

To address some concerns:
- I'd estimate about 10-15 emails per day from bugs.kde.org regarding kmail.
  Not necessarily new bugs, but also comments from old bugs.
  This is why we need help so badly.

   The bugsquad-triage ml wouldn't see the the comments from existing bugs.

- incoming new bugs would get resolved (INVALID, DUPE, etc)
  Or they would be given the keyword "triaged", a useful comment (eg; "I can duplicate in trunk");
   and then reassigned to kdepim-bugs as CONFIRMED

- we'd still need bugsquad pim days to help us deal with the thousands of old bugs

If this works, I'd like to do the same for KOrganizer.

Please try to CC me on replies.

-Allen