[Bugsquad] Triaging-Bot in #kde-bugs? [FiNeX-Analysis]

FiNeX finex at finex.org
Thu Jun 19 14:20:09 CEST 2008

After reading the answers to this email, I'm thinking how this issue could be
well solved.

*** Problem ***
Allow triagers to triage bugs without going up-and-down on the wiki page.

*** Possible solutions proposed until now ***
1) IRC Bot linked to the wiki
2) PHP page custom made for manage triaged bugs
3) Something *hackish* to kbugbuster

* Better analyzed problem *
Triagers needs to bring a sub-set of bugs which will be tested and
confirmed/closed/... Triagers could already do this working directly in
bugzilla, but there is the need of a coordination point.

Actually the wiki page list the sets of bugs. It show the triaged bugs divided
by type. Also each bug can be marked as closed on the wiki (but you have to
do this to b.k.o too).

- The IRC Bot could simply allow triagers to don't use directly the wiki, the
system will remain more or less the same as now.
- A custom PHP page could be useful to gather data from b.k.o. and for better
managing the works, anyway triagers need to access to that page and do some
edits. There is no big differences from the wiki.
- Modifying kbugbuster is not a good idea IMHO: it is used as fronted to
bugzilla, using it to access even to a "bugsquashing DB" is not his purpose.

All this three scenarios have a common problem: the data-bugs (database of
bugs) is redundant between the bugsquad-data (actually the wiki) and b.k.o.
Looking for a solution which use *two* different data sources is certainly
more complex than a system with only *one* data source.

It could be more interesting if triaging could be managed directly into b.k.o.
Actually bugs can be assigned to an user.
The structure could be exteded to allow bugs be assigned even to a triager and
it could be added a field like [ triaged | not triaged ] (only when a triager
is assigned).
Doing that will allow to assign a sub-set of bugs to a triager.
In this way each triager can filter only his assigned bugs and check only bugs
which are not yet triaged.

This will force triagers to give a feedback directly on the bug report instead
of writing on two places (wiki + b.k.o, or IRCbot + b.k.o).

This could allow to use an improved version of kbugbuster that, at this point,
will continue to follow his purpose: being a frontend to bugzilla.

Example: I want to triage konqueror bugs from 01-12-2008 to 31-12-2008.
I'll filter this range on b.k.o (or kbugbuster) and I'll assing this set to
me. At this point I'll triage them, giving my feedback directly in b.k.o (or
with kbugbuster).

*** Double check bugs ***

Actully triagers can double check bugs looking on the wiki page. This will be
still possible with adeguate queries on b.k.o.

*** b.k.o queries ***

A dedicated webpage could be done as interface to b.k.o with the queries for
requesting data. Maybe divided per triage-day. This is the only thing which
need a manual work.

***

What do you think about this?

--