[Bugsquad] Its bug-day-3 planning time

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 21:06:12 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 7:46 PM, A. Spehr <zahl+kde at transbay.net> wrote:
>  I think the remaining khtml bugs will be gone and done by the time we have another BugDay. And we should be done sorting, etc.
>  soon. Do you think that kmail is flashy and cool enough to attract new people? It's the obvious next choice. I guess rendering
>  isn't very flashy, so maybe it doesn't matter. (I'll note that I'm just being a devil's advocate here, I was orginially
>  advocating for kmail myself. ;)

I currently (when not taking part in a BugDay) have two permanently
running lists:

1) A search on b.k.o for all bugs I've ever commented/contributed to
in the past. I cycle through these (up to 150 now.. sigh ;) )
hammering away until they croak.   If we could somehow tag bugs that
have been looked at by the bs we could use that list to make sure we
'finish the job'.

2) A search of the oldest bugs currently on b.k.o which is usually an
interesting mix of oddities. I even closed a floppy disk bug (using a
local image to test) the other week. It might make an interesting list
to have a hammer at one day.

Might be too late to consider for BugDay but something to consider for
the future perhaps? With the major changes seen around kde4 a lot of
the really old bugs are now fixed and most have had time to accumulate
test cases. Time for a bit of spring cleaning? Just a thought :)

In other news:

I own the domain bugsquad.org and following a quick chat on the irc
channel decided to use it to track personal stats on bug triaging/etc.
A little update: I've got it working to the point where it can use the
kde-bugs-dist mailing list (and any other bugzilla list) to assign
activity stats to individuals, dump that to db and render pretty
little graphs and league tables of who is doing what and how much.
Quite interesting? It's not going to be on the domain for a long time
(exam period, supposed to be studying) but once that's over it
shouldn't take too long. If I can get sponsorship I'll look to
organise prizes/bonuses to contributors aswell - might as well make
myself useful.

n.b. the site will also be linking to bug triaging help, documents,
etc. to encourage involvement.

I'll keep you posted. Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

Martin