[Bugsquad] confusing documentation

Bogdan Bivolaru bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 09:09:18 CEST 2008

Hello,

I find it confusing that there are several versions of documentation
with a similar purpose:
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=kdesvn-build
<http://www.kde-forum.org/redir.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.kde.org%2Ftiki-index.php%3Fpage%3Dkdesvn-build>
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/kdesvn-build
<http://www.kde-forum.org/redir.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftechbase.kde.org%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DGetting_Started%2FBuild%2Fkdesvn-build>

What is Wiki.kde.org and what is techbase.kde.org?

I try to follow a guide for some time, leave it for a while (say I'm
busy for a week) and, then when I come back, I search (slightly
differently) for the same resource. Only that to my dismay and horror I
find that there are several variations achiving the same purpose. Which
one did I follow previously?

Not only that I have to achieve a vast amout of knowledge (programming
on the KDE platform is entirely new to me), but I have to figure on my
own if I'm learning the right thing!

I have found several instances of this problem even on a single
documentation site (techbase.kde.org):
On http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started I learn about

    * Getting the Source
    * Building KDE
    * Setting up the Environment

But "Building KDE" also includes "parts of" Getting the source (svn &
staying up to date), so the two are slightly overlapping.
I hope for a better developer documentation.

Cheers,
Bogdan