[Bugsquad] BugDay 1, target KHTML

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:20:49 CEST 2008

In case others (like me) are not subscribed to kfm-devel, I have
pasted below the reply sent there to this thread from the archives for
convenience.

George

---

Le mercredi 9 avril 2008, A. Spehr a Ã(c)crit :
> (cc'd to bugsquad)
>
> Because I realized not all of the KHTML devs may have known we did this,
> and the wiki pages are a bit obscured at the moment, it seemed a good idea
> to tell you!

it was indeed a great shock - a giant cloud of exotic bugs suddenly storming
from the dark and I didn't even have my butterfly net handy :)

Your squad did a wonderful job... it's a pitty the development cycle is at a
point where we are basically rushing head down for feature implementation and
have really few time left for bug investigation. I'd have enjoyed helping
out ;(

> So, you may wish to look over the results of BugDay1:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Contribute/Bugsquad/BugDays/06APR08

This is just great... extremely valuable knowledge, in such a concise form.
I hope we'll be able to make it come to full fruition in the coming weeks.

> Hopefully some of the comments will be useful to you.
> As you look it over, feel free to suggest things that should be changed in
> the documentation or methodology. Especially as the docs will be getting
> moved around into a more sensible, updated order.
>
> That page will be getting a second pass through:
>
> * to double check some of the bugs in the later sections
> * probably close the stuff under INVALID
> * come up with testcases/etc for the non-english & needing passwords stuff
> * see if anyone bothers to give more information
> * check to see if things which work under 4.0.x/trunk also work under 3.5.9

excellent...
if you don't get a timely reply to your questions and the provided
informations are insufficient, don't hesitate to close the bugs as remind or
invalid.

> Exactly what to do with the last item, I'm not sure. Should we look for
> severity? Just close them?

this is really left to your appreciation (and depends on the workforce you
have available). We may backport fixes to 3.5 for majorly ennoying bugs, or
for important crashes. However, with development pressure increasing in
trunk, and a 4.0.x branch to take care off - this is going to be *extremely*
rare.

I'd say if the defect is of normal importance, and there are not at least a
hundred of votes, and there is no reported instance of a major website being
affected, just closing is fine.
Otherwise, changing the version string to 3.5 will allow for easy retrieval.

Greetings,
Germain