[Appeal] Suggestion: Konqueror with greps and regexps

Joe Friedrichsen pengi.films at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 04:53:10 CEST 2005

Hello!

One nice enhancement for Konqueror/file browsing would be filtering the
file list with regular expressions or grep searches. I'll try and
describe what I'm thinking about. Suppose there was a small text-entry
box in the upper right corner of Konqueror's window (like the google
search box in Firefox). If a user typed a word into that box, only file
names which matched the word would be listed in the window.

However, this is just basic functionality, like iTunes, and not very
helpful. If the box also allowed regular expression searches, then users
would be able to specify much more helpful search patterns. In addition,
the regular expression could also be searched for in each file's
contents, and not only in the file name. However, distinguishing between
searching in the file names or file contents needs to be addressed. One
solution is if the box had a drop down dialog to specify a file name
search or a file content search.

At any rate, I'm excited to be reading about all the new things coming
down the line!

Joe