Bug 333745 - Amarok exports unreadable playlists for other players...

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 00:14:26 UTC 2015

This is a change in the behaviour from previous versions of Amarok, however.
And it is possible to use different *encodings* for url when serializing or
de-serializing them.

So for example, if I wanted to convert the percent-encoding into a regular
path, I would use PyQt5:
decoded = QUrl.fromPercentEncoding(line);

This gives me the decoded version of the URL as a string, which can then be
understood by other programs and players, such as my blackberry phone.
Currently, it can not read amarok-generated playlists. While I realize that
technically, you are not supposed to have actual spaces in URLs, and while
URLs are supposed to be on each line of a .m3u file, m3u files have been
around for a very long time and programs that claim to read them do not
always play nice with this percent encoding that is used in more popular
players today.

I have noticed most players are not able to decode this percent encoding
and do understand spaces in playlists, so I do have to convert
amarok-generated playlists to this other format for them to be readable.

I wish there was an option to switch on or off this encoding feature.