No subject

Wed Jun 18 07:44:19 UTC 2014

Technology Group (MTG) at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona and my thesis
is about Autonomous Machine Listening Systems.  I have participated in the
EmCAP <http://emcap.iua.upf.es/> European project, where I developed a
Python library for music and audio analysis including methods for performing
onset detection, audio feature extraction and auditory modeling.

I have also been working quite a bit in the Information Visualization field,
teaching courses in design schools
(Elisava<http://www.elisava.net/news/home&idioma=3>and Universitat
Pompeu Fabra [Spanish and Catalan
only]<http://creaciodigital.upf.edu/web/es/master_artes_digitales.php>)
and workshops (Medialab Prado -
Visualizar<http://medialab-prado.es/article/visualizar_muestra_de_resultados_del_taller>
).

I am (and have been for several years) a very active member of the
Processing <http://www.processing.org> community and have created a library
for handling vector shapes and typography
(Geomerative<http://www.ricardmarxer.com/geomerative>),
with which, I did a typography project (Caligraft <http://www.caligraft.com>).
Also with Processing I have been doing several audio analyzers and
interactive pieces:

The Java Plugin is needed for the following to work and no other app should
be using the sound card:

Atubola <http://www.ricardmarxer.com/grafisme/atubola/atubola.html>:
requires PureData for audio (but can still work without audio).  This was
done a long time ago where there wasn't any good audio framwork in Java.

Simple Viz<http://www.ricardmarxer.com/edu/mad08/applets/audioIn/applet/index.html>:
exercise for my students (audio is 10s of "New Generation" from
SouledOut<http://www.jamendo.com/es/artist/souledout_%28Jamendo%29>
)

Simple Sampler<http://www.ricardmarxer.com/edu/mad08/applets/audioOut/applet/index.html>:
also an exercise for my students

Apart from my work in Java I have lately been doing a lot using C++.  I have
done a few contributions (and I plan to continue to) to
Eigen<http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/>,
which I have been using to practice C++ and implement some audio algorithms.

I am also a KDE user since four years ago and Amarok is one of my favorite
apps, this is a great opportunity for me to get involved

I welcome very much any ideas, criticism, etc...

--
ricard
http://www.ricardmarxer.com

--001636c5a2a5f632c60463c3f2ea

Hi,<br><br>I'm Ricard Marxer and I'm planning to apply for the GSOC=
 Analyzer Support Idea presented by Ian Moore:<br><br><a href=3D"http://tec=
hbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas#Project:_Analyzer_Support"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ide=
as#Project:_Analyzer_Support</a><br>

at Phonon offers an experimental <a href=3D"http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kde=
support/phonon/phonon/experimental/audiodataoutput.h?revision=3D819898&=
view=3Dmarkup" target=3D"_blank">AudioDataOutput</a>
class made for the purpose of visualization and analysis.=A0 This is the
obvious entry point for accessing the audio frames to perform further
processing.<br>
processing of the audio (FFT, MFCC, Onset Detection, Pitch
Estimation...) I would like to use Eigen, since it makes the code very
readable and clear and it is highly optimized.<br>
I would of course use some external libraries for some specific algos such =
about what would be the best choice.=A0 I think to start with, the
simplest thing would be to first hook the output of the processing
directly to a Graphics View.<br>
If you guys think it is a good idea it might be nice to have the
Graphics View inside a plasma applet (which could then fit in Amarok's
course the main goal is to have the lowest possible hit in CPU and
still keep beautiful visualization.=A0 Also it should be possible to
completely turn off the audio processing and visualization when in
power saving mode.<br>
 idea could take.=A0 What do you all think?<br><br>
-----------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Fr=
om the audio and music perspective, I'm PhD student at the Music Techno=
logy Group (MTG) at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona and my thesis is ab=
out Autonomous Machine Listening Systems.=A0 I have participated in the <a =
href=3D"http://emcap.iua.upf.es/" target=3D"_blank">EmCAP</a> European proj=
ect, where I developed a Python library for music and audio analysis includ=
ing methods for performing onset detection, audio feature extraction and au=
ditory modeling.<br>

ield, teaching courses in design schools (<a href=3D"http://www.elisava.net=
/news/home&idioma=3D3" target=3D"_blank">Elisava</a> and <a href=3D"htt=
p://creaciodigital.upf.edu/web/es/master_artes_digitales.php" target=3D"_bl=
ank">Universitat Pompeu Fabra [Spanish and Catalan only]</a>) and workshops=
 (<a href=3D"http://medialab-prado.es/article/visualizar_muestra_de_resulta=
dos_del_taller" target=3D"_blank">Medialab Prado - Visualizar</a>).<br>

ref=3D"http://www.processing.org" target=3D"_blank">Processing</a> communit=
y and have created a library for handling vector shapes and typography (<a =
href=3D"http://www.ricardmarxer.com/geomerative" target=3D"_blank">Geomerat=
ive</a>), with which, I did a typography project (<a href=3D"http://www.cal=
igraft.com" target=3D"_blank">Caligraft</a>).=A0 Also with Processing I hav=
e been doing several audio analyzers and interactive pieces:<br>

ould be using the sound card:<br><br><a href=3D"http://www.ricardmarxer.com=
/grafisme/atubola/atubola.html" target=3D"_blank">Atubola</a>: requires Pur=
eData for audio (but can still work without audio).=A0 This was done a long=
 time ago where there wasn't any good audio framwork in Java.<br>

/index.html" target=3D"_blank">Simple Viz</a>: exercise for my students (au=
dio is 10s of "New Generation" from <a href=3D"http://www.jamendo=
.com/es/artist/souledout_%28Jamendo%29" target=3D"_blank">SouledOut</a>)<br=

t/index.html" target=3D"_blank">Simple Sampler</a>: also an exercise for my=
 students<br clear=3D"all">
 I have done a few contributions (and I plan to continue to) to <a href=3D"=
http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/" target=3D"_blank">Eigen</a>, which I have been=
 using to practice C++ and implement some audio algorithms.<br>

ite apps, this is a great opportunity for me to get involved<br><br>I welco=
me very much any ideas, criticism, etc...<br><br>
http://www.ricardmarxer.com</a><br><a href=3D"http://www.caligraft.com" tar=
get=3D"_blank">http://www.caligraft.com</a><br>

--001636c5a2a5f632c60463c3f2ea--