Amarok hangs during playback at 0:03s mark

Alexander Puchmayr alexander.puchmayr at linznet.at
Mon Feb 17 20:52:54 UTC 2014

Thanks for the response!

Am Montag, 17. Februar 2014, 19:09:30 schrieb Myriam Schweingruber:

> Sadly you don't specify which phonon backend you are using, which is
> essential when talking about playback in Amarok, as Amarok doesn't
> play the sound, but uses Phonon and its backends to do so.

media-libs/gstreamer-0.10.36
media-libs/gstreamer-1.0.10
media-libs/phonon-gstreamer-4.6.3

The two gstreamer versions seem to be slotted, and they are likely installed
due to different dependences of different programs. I'm entirely relying on the
gentoo-devs here.

> JFYI: there is a known bug with the phonon-backend-gstreamer with
> track to track progression. Actually the problem is the gstremer
> 0.10.x library, and there currently is work in progress to use the
> gstreamer 1.x library in phonon, but this is not finished and hence
> not released. This bug is only one of the reasons why the Phonon
> developers recommend the phonon-backend-vlc to be the preferred one.
>
> FWIW: you can find a very long list of bugs and duplicates describing
> this problem in http://bugs.kde.org. Google is your friend here, as
> "amarok track change" would have given you that list and more than
> enough explanations...

If you know the right keywords to google ...
I looked for "Amarok hang" and found only one bug from 2012 which described a
similar problem and was marked as CLOSED in 2012 ...

> FWIW2: your KDE version is outdated, the current one is 4.12.1 and the
> 4.11 branch also is still one of the maintained ones, 4.10.x isn't:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules

Akonadi prevented me from an upgrade to 4.11; I had serious problems with mail
and was forced to restore from backup. Now I'm waiting for a stable release in
gentoo of 4.12.X

Best regards,
	Alex