Some Mass Media not recognized

Alexander Puchmayr alexander.puchmayr at linznet.at
Sat Oct 26 10:58:58 UTC 2013

On Saturday 26 October 2013, 12:24:35 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> On Samstag, 26. Oktober 2013 11:52:50 CEST, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > any other media I connected with my card reader. I've tried three other
> > SD-
> > Cards and one compact-flash media.
>
> Does the card automagically show up in the places panel of dolphin or (in
> case) the plasma device notifier - or do you mount it by hand?

Ok, here is a detailed list of things that happen when an sd-card is inserted:
1) insert card

2) the usb-widget in plasmas task bar pops up, offering "open with dolphin",
etc.  At the same time, in dolphin the corresponding entry in "Devices" shows
up

2a) At this point, the device is not yet mounted.

3) "Open with dolphin". Device gets mounted, a new instance of dolphin is
started and the content is displayed

3a) at this point, I expect a new entry in amarok's collection list. For USB-
Sticks, external harddrives, ipod and smartphone this is true, only those
sd/compactflash media connected via a card reader not; they do not appear in
amarok.

> (I assume it's the card reader type which allocates /dev/sd[b-f] or so
> immediately?)

Yes,  /dev/sd[c-f] is always there regardless of an inserted media. New minor
devices appar according to the partition table of the media (e.g. /dev/sdf1)
immediately after inserting it.

Alex