pulseaudio w/ VLC backend vs GStremer backend observations.

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 22:37:17 UTC 2013

I am using pulseaudio with 2 sound cards. I thought I'd share with you some
observations i made comparing the two phonon backends.

I want amarok to use my second digital sound card, and I want system sounds
to go to the analog device.

Using the Phonon VLC back-end, I can direct Amarok to the proper device via
veromix or pavucontrol, but if I don't have that same device as my default
sink, then after each song, amarok reverts to using my default sink saying
it has a higher priority for this application!

I can move amarok back to the correct device and it switches back after
each track. Very frustrating. I can't seem to force amarok to stick to the
non-default sink.

So I switched from using the Phonon VLC backend to using GStreamer backend.
Now I can see 2 different devices from the Phonon Settings, and I can
choose which one I prefer for system sounds vs music, which is nice.

So I guess GStreamer works much better with my combination of sound cards
and I will use that for now.

debian testing - Amarok 2.7.1 Using KDE 4.8.4 (4.8.4)