I want my reliable laptop based Amarok jukebox back

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 11 18:00:16 UTC 2013

On 11/08/13 18:49, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 11. August 2013, 18:13:21 schrieb Anne Wilson:
>> The second thing is that I discovered that it actually matters
>> which USB port I connect the sound card to.  Silly as it sounds,
>> if it goes through one port or the powered hub that is usually
>> connected there I get horrible static.  By experimentation I
>> found that one of the other ports gives me good sound.  At least,
>> it did yesterday.  A test a minute ago tells me that the static
>> is back.
>>
>> Is it possible that there is some sort of build-up somewhere?
>> Some fault that is minor at first but becomes progressively
>> worse? The laptop has been up for 2 days now, so it has had time
>> to "ripen" if that's the case.
>>
>> I hope something here rings a bell for someone
>
> Hehe, I had that.
>
> That Sonica Theater also only works in certain ports.
>
> With the ThinkPad T23 it only worked from the USB 1.1 port of the
> ThinkPad, it didn´t work reliably from the USB 2.0 port of a NEC
> based USB PCMCIA adapter.
>
> On the ThinkPad T42 it worked on the internal USB ports. But maybe
> I a tad bit more unreliable than on the T23.
>
> Well, I removed it for now and that way I seem to have gotten rid
> of some of the trouble.

The problem is that you think you have found a solution, only for it to
start again later, so it's hard to learn what's causing it.

> Out of interest: Does your setup including PulseAudio work nicely
> with hibernation and resume?

It's not something I do often, but I haven't noticed it being any
different from general use.  I can't swear to it, but I don't think I
have a problem with that.

> I also wonder whether the USB sound card may have gotten worse
> over the years…

That had crossed my mind too.  I _think_ I have used the sound
decently with Windows 7, which would rule that out.  I could check
that tomorrow.

I wonder if there is any bug-busting mileage in attaching the usb
sound card to the netbook, and the audio-out stereo speakers to the
laptop, temporarily?  Both have Intel audio, and both run Mageia 3,
but perhaps it would tell us something useful.  I'm really not sure,
so would prefer to wait to be told whether it's useful or not.

Anne