Multiple songs playing simultaneously

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 16 19:46:41 UTC 2012

Hello

On a standard GNU/ Linux Debian squeeze 32-bit distribution:

I am running Amarok (Version 2.3.1 Using KDE 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3)). AFAIK,
all libraries are up-to-date.

When playing some - not all - music files, the tracks selected are
interrupted by another track playing simultaneously. and always by the
same artist as the target track. For example, playing Tool "10,000 days"
I will hear Tool "Lateralus" for the duration of approximately the first
fifteen or twenty seconds. If I pause the intended song (e.g. "10,000
days") then the second song will eventually play itself out after about
15 - 20 seconds.  Also, during this time Amarok will freeze, and it
cannot be shut down, I cannot select an alternate track and I cannot
change anything about the program. A message in Nautilus (I'm running
Gnome) will tell me that Amarok is not responding, and ask if I want to
force quit or wait.

What on earth is going on here? I cannot find a viable solution on the
web.  To date, I have deleted all files from my HDD, including
configuration files on the /home/AG directory, but after reinstalling,
Amarok responds in the same way. At first it was just a few files, but
now this is becoming increasingly common to the point that I am
reluctant to use Amarok any further, and yet really don't like the
alternatives to it.

Please help.

Thanks
AG