[Feedback] mp3s created with Amarok won't play nice with others

Jayesh Badwaik jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 07:48:21 UTC 2012

On Thursday 26 Apr 2012 13:54:08 kilgoremeister at gmail.com wrote:
> Kent Kilgore sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> After spending LOTS of time ripping cds and moving them manually to a sansa
> clip mp3 player, I found everything in the "unknown" catagory. Then, I ran
> them through MP3tag v. 2.5 to add what I noticed were missing tags and
> change the names to something other players can read.  The file name part
> seemed to work fine, but when I examine tags from tunes that came on the
> player, I noticed that not only did the name in the original players' songs
> have a "_" instead of a "-", but that the metadata shown in windows file
> properties, details did NOT have the album name even listed, but that the
> one created with Amarok doesn't show the artist catagory before the title
> one.
>
> Consequently, it appears that I'll probably have to use either the software
> that came with the player, or windows media player to re-rip all these cds,
> or spend WAY more time correcting the ones ripped with Amarok.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> I tried emailing the address listed on one of the pages you have that had a
> mangled email address for  mitchell at tkded.t.org, or
>   mitchell at tkdedt.org, and both bounced back.  If you could supply the
> correct email for whomever else this may need to go to, I will send an rtf
> file that has 2 screenshots of the properties, details tab from windows
> exporer.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kent
>
> Report as inappropriate:
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/mollom/report/session/12042680d0ef115417

Just to make sure since I can do everything painlessly.
Did you see this? [1] Did your CD recognize the tags before you ripped it?
If not, did you edit the track details before you ripped it?

"_" is used for spaces between words of the same field, while "-" is used for
different fields. Are you sure you wanted it that way?

In case, you did everything properly, you said the filename part was done
right. In that case, consider using a software such as EasyTag where you can
specify the format in which the filename is written and then it automatically,
updates tags for the files using the data from the file name. So, if the filename
is regular, you have to do the tagging stuff only once, saving a lot of your
time.

--
Jayesh Badwaik
stop html mail      | always bottom-post

[1]
http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/QuickStartGuide/TheMusicCollection#Ripping_a_CD_into_the_collection