Weird layout of local collection in 2.4.x

Jörg Schaible joerg.schaible at gmx.de
Wed Apr 25 02:01:57 UTC 2012

Hello,

my first attempt to use Amarok 2.4.0 (~ 11 months ago) failed, but now
I had finally to switch from Amarok 2.3.2 to Amarok 2.4.3, since the old
version had some display incompatibilities after my update from KDE 4.7.4 to
4.8.1. Unfortunately the problems with 2.4.3 are for me still the same as
with 2.4.0. I understand that Amarok supports now an album interpret
starting with 2.4.x.

My local collection is typically sorted with the interpret at the first
layer and the album name at the second layer (incl. year). In 2.3.2 this has
for some albums the unfortunate effect that they are added to the various
artists, just because one song is e.g. a duet. With 2.4.x this album is
moved out of the various artists and I get individual entries now, one for
each interpret variation. OK, therefore I select in 2.4.3 now the album
interpret as first layer and - hooray - all titles of the album are grouped
together within one entry (well, if the titles have the album interpret
set). Promising.

However, I have suddenly albums in the various artists that have not been
there with Amarok 2.3.2. As it turns out, the titles of all albums with same
name are now grouped together although the tags for interpret and album
interpret are set correctly. E.g. I have suddenly an album "Up" in the
various artists where the titles of the albums with this name of Peter
Gabriel, R.E.M. and Shania Twain are mixed up (sorted alphabetically by
track number and name). This prevents completely the selection of the
individual album for the playlist. I have quite some of this annoying
clashes (albums with name "Time", "Eden", "Zeitgeist", "Harpe Celtique",
"Elemental", "Simply the best", "Hysteria", "Solo").

Another bunch of "new" albums for the various artists appear. All those are
affected where the interpret is the same for all titles of the album, the
album interpret is empty, but the composer may vary.

A manual run of the amarokcollectionscanner proofs that the tag info was
properly read. Is there anything else I can do?

- Jörg