Hello! & Problematic Includes to Collection

Freeman hewho7 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 22:44:38 UTC 2011

I am very pleased to be running Amarok. I haven't discovered all of the
features and their nuances yet but I am mostly moved into it and delighted.

Debian Squeeze v6.01
Gnome2 v2.3 / Openbox v3.4
Linux 2.6.32
Dell Inspiron laptop
2 GHz Turion 64X2
2 Gig RAM.

The RAM is a bit of a squeeze but I will be upgrading to 4 Gig at some point.

I included the KDE help package so Amarok's Help would run under Gnome &
Openbox.

I was really happy to see Amarok run without issue under Openbox, which is
where I like to be.

My biggest concern is some files and folders that did not import and some
that did not get added with a rescan when I dropped them into the designated
folders of the Amarok music collection.

Initially I simply added my Music directory tree, _which includes the iTunes
directory tree_, to Amarok under Settings > Configure Amarok > Configure
Collection and ran a "full rescan."

Subsequently, I manually added some files and folders to that directory
tree.

I began discovering a few files and folders missing from the Amarok music
collection.  So I tried rescanning, doing more full rescans and importing
from the Amarok file browser using the right click menu.

When nothing worked, I followed the "touch" advice under the FAQ--presumably
to update the access times--without avail.

What finally worked so far, I haven't got to all of them, is editing the
tags of the folders using the Amarok file browser right click menu, then
doing a full rescan.  Apparently, what gets edited doesn't matter, just
that an edit happens.

This can be a little time consuming. However it appears that I don't always
need the full rescan.

These files include mp3's, mp4's, flac's and aif's.

Are there known issues here or something I should be doing differently?

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody