[Kde-hardware-devel] Questions about the support for iPhones in Solid and Amarok

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sat Jun 11 20:26:50 UTC 2011

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 02:25:17 AM Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi amarokers and metalworkers,
>

> I am trying to make my iPhones (3G and 3GS) work with Amarok 2.4.1
> (using KDE 4.6.80), and wondered what is the status of this?
>

> This is what I have found so far:
>
> Using the MTP collection does not work well (the device is listed as
> having 0 tracks, and I have not been able to work around this).
>
> Using the iPod collection works, but I have to patch the code to
> ignore the supported protocols given by solid [1].
>
> If I understand correctly, the problem is that Solid does not have
> support for libgpod devices (in particular it only lists "mtp" as a
> valid protocol rather than "ipod"). Is this just a bug in Solid with
> my particular device/setup or is the functionality simply not there?
>
> Before trying to get my head around what is happening (or not
> happening) in Solid, I thought I'd ask you guys what is the current
> status, and if you have a suggestion to where to start looking to get
> this working. I'd be happy to work on this and submit patches when I
> have figured out a solution.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Tom
Hi, first of all thanks for the reserch.

This kind of issues are not easy to fix since afaik nobody has an iPod within
the metalworkers team, so we can't test this issues :/ Besides that, I'm going
to take a look at the current state of mtp/others devices and see what we can
do about this problem, iirc there is already a hack for mtp devices, maybe we
can extend it to cover iPod devices.

Cheers.