Questions about the support for iPhones in Solid and Amarok

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Jun 11 00:25:17 UTC 2011

Hi amarokers and metalworkers,

I am trying to make my iPhones (3G and 3GS) work with Amarok 2.4.1
(using KDE 4.6.80), and wondered what is the status of this?

This is what I have found so far:

Using the MTP collection does not work well (the device is listed as
having 0 tracks, and I have not been able to work around this).

Using the iPod collection works, but I have to patch the code to
ignore the supported protocols given by solid [1].

If I understand correctly, the problem is that Solid does not have
support for libgpod devices (in particular it only lists "mtp" as a
valid protocol rather than "ipod"). Is this just a bug in Solid with
my particular device/setup or is the functionality simply not there?

Before trying to get my head around what is happening (or not
happening) in Solid, I thought I'd ask you guys what is the current
status, and if you have a suggestion to where to start looking to get
this working. I'd be happy to work on this and submit patches when I
have figured out a solution.

Cheers,

Tom

[1]
Replace "if (pmp) {" with "if (false) {" here:
<https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/multimedia/amarok/repository/revisions/master/annotate/src/core-impl/collections/ipodcollection/support/IpodConnectionAssistant.cpp#L70>.