Amarok 2.4.1 memory use

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Jun 9 23:22:08 UTC 2011

On Thursday, June 09, 2011 02:14:54 AM Bart Cerneels
<bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 20:23, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> > I've had Amarok 2.4.1 (KDE 4.6.3, Fedora 14) running for 2 days, set
> > to random play.
> >
> > System Activity shows 152.7M Memory, 35.8 Shared Mem - Amarok tops the
> > memory-used list over X, Firefox and KMail among others - all of which
> > have been running for a week.
> >
> > Why is so much memory being used for a music player?
>
> Or so little!
>
> Really, expecting anything less in the times of web-browsers that use
> over 1GB of RES and desktop operating systems refusing to run with
> less then 3GB is just not realistic.
> There are various reasons why Amarok could be using more memory then
> expected: - use of a MemoryCollection like DAAP, UPnP (w/o UPnP::Search
> support), USB mass-storage devices, etc.
> - Very large collection: we just need more memory to handle them and
> the internal mysqle database will require a bit more to run itself as
> well. Both will have way bigger query results.
>
> If however you find Amarok's memory usage keeps increasing steadily
> over the runtime we probably have a mem-leak. But it doesn't seem that
> way if after 2 days the usage was still less then currently my
> qtcreator uses.
>
> But thanks for bringing it up anyway, we'll probably be doing some
> memory usage reductions towards mobile platforms one day.
>
> Bart

Yes it increases from about 85M, up and up. I've seen 200M after a week or
so. 90% of my use is playing through a random playlist (the simplest
option) of 5400 FLACs off my local disk. I rarely open the UI and just use
the right-click options from the System Tray icon.