Amarok 2.4.1 memory use

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 08:14:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 20:23, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> I've had Amarok 2.4.1 (KDE 4.6.3, Fedora 14) running for 2 days, set to
> random play.
>
> System Activity shows 152.7M Memory, 35.8 Shared Mem - Amarok tops the
> memory-used list over X, Firefox and KMail among others - all of which have
> been running for a week.
>
> Why is so much memory being used for a music player?

Or so little!

Really, expecting anything less in the times of web-browsers that use
over 1GB of RES and desktop operating systems refusing to run with
less then 3GB is just not realistic.
There are various reasons why Amarok could be using more memory then expected:
- use of a MemoryCollection like DAAP, UPnP (w/o UPnP::Search
support), USB mass-storage devices, etc.
- Very large collection: we just need more memory to handle them and
the internal mysqle database will require a bit more to run itself as
well. Both will have way bigger query results.

If however you find Amarok's memory usage keeps increasing steadily
over the runtime we probably have a mem-leak. But it doesn't seem that
way if after 2 days the usage was still less then currently my
qtcreator uses.

But thanks for bringing it up anyway, we'll probably be doing some
memory usage reductions towards mobile platforms one day.

Bart