I'm now finished with Amarok

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto jmbsvicetto at gentoo.org
Fri Apr 22 18:25:41 UTC 2011

On 21-04-2011 15:54, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Donn Washburn at 09/04/11 16:34 did gyre and gimble:
>> On 04/09/2011 08:45 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
>> Hi.

>> Instead of turning the sound devices world writeable, you should add
>> yourself to the audio group.
>
>> I did that also but forgot to mention it.  Sorry!
>
> You should do neither.
>
> On any half-way modern distro, console-kit and udev take care of
> applying ACLs to the device nodes for the active user (see
> ck-list-sessions and udev-acl callouts)

That assumes you want to use console-kit / policy-kit. Not everyone
likes them.

> It is very rare that you should ever have to mess with permissions or
> user groups to make things work - in fact doing such fiddling will often
> do more harm than good due to breaking (for example) fast user
> switching. If you do have to fiddle just to make things work, your
> distro is bust and you should complain to them.

Some distributions allow users to choose whether to use console-kit /
policy-kit and do not "impose" them. So if the user chooses not to use
it, then the distribution isn't "busted".
For anyone not interested and or not using console-kit / policy-kit,
adding a user to the audio group is the correct solution.

> Col

- --
Regards,

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng