I'm now finished with Amarok

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 21 15:54:15 UTC 2011

'Twas brillig, and Donn Washburn at 09/04/11 16:34 did gyre and gimble:
> On 04/09/2011 08:45 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> Hi.

> Instead of turning the sound devices world writeable, you should add
> yourself to the audio group.

> I did that also but forgot to mention it.  Sorry!

You should do neither.

On any half-way modern distro, console-kit and udev take care of
applying ACLs to the device nodes for the active user (see
ck-list-sessions and udev-acl callouts)

It is very rare that you should ever have to mess with permissions or
user groups to make things work - in fact doing such fiddling will often
do more harm than good due to breaking (for example) fast user
switching. If you do have to fiddle just to make things work, your
distro is bust and you should complain to them.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie