I'm now finished with Amarok

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sat Apr 9 17:54:40 UTC 2011

Am 09.04.2011, 18:03 Uhr, schrieb AG <computing.account at googlemail.com>:

> Not all users who get pissed off because an application doesn't work as
> advertised and who are vocal are "trolls".
This is NOT about your mood but about the way you "deal" with a problem
and from all i know from this particular mail you do not deal it in a way
that would any way lead to some kind of solution but is just a rant and in
addition in the rather wrong place.
Added your "generic" email address - well it's just what my gut told me...

>> And you get to the diagnosis "terminally" on what kind of knowledge
>> about the system internals?
> See above ...
See what? "I've asked before"?

> Which means that I have attempted to debug this application before and
> the most helpful solution offered was to ...
Upgrade KDE/Phonon?
So that's not been the source of the problem but a non working solution
attempt?

> which was the suggested advice from this list.  So much for consistency
> of advice from the user world then.
Maybe you should not query a user list to get a bug debugged but use the
bug tracker?

> Point taken.  Nonetheless, as this issue has been protracted and the
> solutions offered hitherto work for short periods of time or there is a
> resounding silence from this list,
In case that didn't become clear: this is NOT the best place triage bugs,
sorry.
It's perfectly ok to ask other users for help but if you don't get a
solution, you want to contact the developers, ideally through the
bugtracker. period.

> Your sexism aside, you are just yanking my chain right now.  I updated
> the kde libs in Debian and then went to play a video from YouTube
> (pausing Amarok) and went back to play Amarok and it wouldn't play - it
> remained on pause despite clicking the pause/ unpause button.  All
> systems seemed ready to play - wikipedia was picked up as was the album
> art, but no progress indicator movement and no minute countdown.  The
> update was already mentioned previously.

That actually sounds like a usable bug description ;-) and is faar better
than the mail i've googled up (and actually partially replied then)
And yes, this is likely a related bug and it's in the contextview and or
the video part of the phonon backend, so the /very/ first thid i'd try was
an alternative phonon backend.

I've so far never used the video player (because amarok to me is mainly an
audio player...) but can safely confirm that the videoclip thing doesn't
work here at all.
(And i frankly don't understand what's that supposed to be good for - it
presents me a youtube video of or remotely related to the currently
playing song. Humm.)
If i click such video, just nothing happens but that could as well be an
issue of "this video contains valueable content, go away thief" attitude
that youtube has because google refuses to be blackmailed by the GEMA.

The next thing i can confirm is that amarok crashes on close after
attempting to play a video (pretty generic and not reproducable, looks
pretty much like a buffer overflow/dangeling pointer issue to me)
Normal audio playback however just continues to work. (vlc phonon backend)

I'm gonna do a little check on this, but my current impression is: ground
broken as most plasma-script-kiddie stuff.

> And besides an insufferable arrogance your point is what exactly?
That you were simply ranting around what won't get you a solution of your
problem?

> Done - and previously posted.  Same problem, same debugging info.
You could post a link to that mail because i've found nothing better than
the description above.
Your generic mail address obviously doesn't any help when searching.

>> Then you would file a bug report specifying the issue and in doubt ask
>> for insight/help.
> Which I've done previously (again, check the archives) and it remains
> broken.
And for the records,  the bug id would be? (the little number the bug gets
assigned)

> In fact even someone from SuSE is discussing similar
> breakages.  Seems like it may be more than just my own issue at work
> here.
Donn described that he wasn't added to the audio group and is soundcard
wasn't properly configured.
a) that's unlikely your problem
b) that'd certainly be no amarok problem at all.

Cheers,
Thomas