I'm now finished with Amarok

Donn Washburn n5xwb at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 13:32:49 UTC 2011

On 04/09/2011 06:27 AM, AG wrote:
> After so many different attempts to make Amarok work, I am sorry to say
> this but I am now done with this damned thing.  It has proven itself to
> be terminally buggy on my system, plays for a few days then without
> warning and with no changes to my system aside from KDE updates on
> Debian testing, it just stops playing.  It loads the track and gets
> stuck on pause - despite my best efforts to change that status.
>
> UI have renamed and then removed the ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok and
> relevant config files so many times now and that helps for a bit, but
> then Amarok just decides to quit playing again.
>
> It really is too bad because it was my favourite music app and the
> developers had really made some great advances in getting the cover
> fetching manager working right as well.  Unless KDE and Amarok learn how
> to play nicely on this system, then Amarok has to go in favour of JaJuk.
>
> AG
openSuSE 11.4 RC2

I had similar problems with Amarok but I did get it working.  These are
some of the headache I had with openSuSE and Amarok (and several others
in KDE).
1.Check permissions on all device /dev audio related items.  Here it was
dsp and mixer  The settings i set them to is 666 from 660.
2. The sound module was not spotted correctly aby Yast2 (Yet Another
Setup Tool).  yast2>Hardware>Sound put dummy first above
"snd-hda-intel".  I deferred dummy and that helped.
3. And to get Amarok and other programs to play mp3 I had to download
from SuSE a bunch of related mp3 stuff.
4. I also had to download, compile xine, install files and dump
gstreamer in Amarok.  Good news phonon was not the problem

Amarok is now working correctly.   Even on a git version.

Good luck!

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb at comcast.net "