Sound faults in Version 2.3.0 w/ Debian Squeeze

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 28 21:45:15 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Valorie Zimmerman at 28/03/10 11:06 did gyre and gimble:
> I know you've gotten some advice to stop or remove PulseAudio, but
> I've got the opposite advice. Put PA at the top of the list of your
> output devices -- ALL output devices. It can work well, but it does
> not play well with others. I had various annoying sound problems until
> I did this, and now everything works perfectly.

This certainly used to be the case, but quite some time ago I did work
to properly integrate Phonon and PulseAudio.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you should ask your distribution
to include the latest phonon from gitorious and build it against
pulseaudio headers/libs for full integration. You should also make sure
you have pulseaudio 0.9.21+extra patches from the stable-queue branch
(most distros I know ship this). With this and the start-pulseaudio-kde
script and you should have a very nicely integrated Phonon+PA and avoid
the configuration problems that trip up a lot of people at the first
hurdle for which their "solution" is to remove PA.

Lots more info on my blog linked below.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie