Error feedback

Ian Rees ian.rees at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 14 22:59:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
> This only happens if you start Amarok in debug mode, making this
> default would be a bit exaggerated for most users.

Hi Myriam, thanks for your quick response!

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting making Amarok display to the user
all of the information that's provided by running it in debug mode.
What I'm suggesting is that Amarok could better report errors that
clearly lead to visible problems. Amarok's GUI currently reports a
MySQL problem by silently refusing to populate the Local Music
collection.  Or, from a "most users" standpoint, the Local Music
collection can refuse to display any music, without giving any
indication that there is a problem (specifically a broken/missing
MySQL install).

It's obviously not that big of a deal, especially since most people
probably don't break their MySQL installs, and those that do can
probably figure out how to use Amarok's --debug option.  It just seems
to me (and, apparently whoever reported bug #230196) that a GUI isn't
complete without some sort of error reporting mechanism.

> If you want to see debug messages by default, please start Amarok in a
> konsole with 'amarok -d --nofork', you will then get konsole messages
> that can point you in the right direction.

Appreciate the suggestion, but I've already got my problem sorted out :)

Also, sorry about the rant, just had a recent string of issues with
user interfaces in software.   -Ian-